Thursday, July 29, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal



My boyfriend loves oatmeal and usually eats it at least once a day but always buys the packaged instant kind. He did attempt to make it once but it turned out horribly. Trying to get rid of all pre-made, boxed foods, I finally went out and bought some steel-cut oats. I am so glad that I did because this turned out really well, much better than I thought. I might have to start making some for myself too and play around with different types of fruit to add. I think peaches or even pears would go great in this oatmeal as well.





On another note, as I was typing up the recipe on here, I looked over to my left to see my cat Taffy staring at me through the glass door, holding a bird in his mouth! My boy is very crossed-eyed and usually never catches anything but the occasional grasshopper. I had to do a double take, thinking maybe it was just his little catnip mouse but no, it was for sure a bird. I ran over to him and he dropped it and the poor little bird's feet were moving. I had no idea what to do...he grabbed the bird again and took it outside. I managed to take a couple pictures and then, just like that the bird got up and flew away! The bird wasn't injured but instead just playing dead. Poor Taffy looked at me, like "where did my toy go?" I am so glad that I taught him well to know never to hurt another animal : ]


Serves 1 hearty breakfast portion or two petite portions

Ingredients
* 2 tsp non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
* 1/2 cup steel cut oats
* 1 1/2 cups hot water
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
* 1 pinch of salt
* 1/2 cooking apple, diced
* 1/4 cup soy, oat, or nut milk
* 1-2 tsp brown sugar ( or regular sugar with a small drizzle of molasses )
* 1 tiny pinch nutmeg, optional

Directions
1. Heat margarine in a small sauce pot that has a tight fitting lid. Add oats and toast them for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add cinnamon and salt, stir well. Stir in hot water and bring to a brisk boil. Cover and turn down heat. After 15 minutes, add apple, milk, and sugar and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.

2. If after 5 minutes you'd prefer your oatmeal to be thicker, cover and turn off heat and let sit for an additional 5-10 minutes. This gives the oats a chance to absorb more liquid without running the risk of burning the oatmeal. Also, the oatmeal at this point is approximately the temperature of magma, so you might as well let it cool down a bit before you dig in.

3. If you feel like dressing up your oatmeal, drizzle it with a small amount of molasses and a pinch of nutmeg, or sprinkle it with additional brown sugar, or add a fresh apple slice or two to the top.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jacklyn, I love oatmeal, and this looks delicious with the soft looking apples. Oh, and Taffy looks so cute with his crossed eyes. He's probably just sitting there thinking he's the king of the jungle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stella. Yeah, he thinks he's a tough guy haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an FYI, cat saliva is toxic to birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no, really? eee i had no idea : [

    ReplyDelete