Saturday, July 31, 2010

Seasonal Berry Cobbler



With all the berries being in season right now I see that everyone has been making cobblers and I just had to join in on the fun! I choose to do mine with strawberries and blackberries but a combination of any two berries will do as well. Or you know what I really love, peach cobbler! Oh cobbler how I love you and your many different versions! If you happen to have vegan ice cream on hand, serve this with a heaping scoop but if you don't, as I didn't, it is just as good to eat alone.


Serves 8

Ingredients - For the Dough
* 1 1/3 cup flour
* 2 Tb sugar
* 1 1/2 Tb baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 3/4 cup almond, soy or rice milk

For the filling
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 Tb flour
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
* 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
* 1 Tb sugar to sprinkle on top

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl, whisk oil and milk, then add to the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined, but do not over-mix.

2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon, then add berries. Toss until berries are coated with sugar mixture.

3. Pour berries into a 9-inch baking pan or distribute evenly into 8 ramekins. Using a tablespoon, scoop lumps of dough on top of berries.

4. Brush the top of the dough with extra almond milk and sprinkle liberally with sugar.

5. Bake for 45 minutes or until dough is thoroughly cooked and lightly browned on top. Be sure to rotate after 20 minutes for even baking.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I know blackberrries & strawberrries are good together (smile). And your topping sounds almost cake like-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It did smell like cake as I was mixing it : ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my that looks so berry berry good to me!! great job and thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete